If you're reading this post, then there's probably a pretty freaking-high chance that you feel cursed with some horrible hex of never achieving your goal of clear, acne-free skin. Been there. Done that.
Let me guess, you've tried EVERYTHING to make it go away and stay away. You've bought every cleanser, toner, exfoliant, mask, and acne treatment you can find. You've tried the apple cider vinegar trick; the baking soda theory; the honey + matcha goop, which you religiously smeared upon your complexion every Tuesday (For three whole months!). And yet, for all your zeal in searching for the Holy Grail of wonder-ointment that will make those stubborn zits hightail it, you just CAN'T seem to succeed! You keep waking up in the morning and - oh no - there's a new one.
What gives?? You feel like you're doing everything right, so why aren't you getting the results you want? Babe, I'm going to let you in on a few little secrets that will most likely solve the missing link to your problem. Speaking as someone who struggled with severe acne for 10 years, I can totally relate to your challenge!
So buckle up, because we're going to dive right in!
1. You're Too Stressed Out.
I see your raised eyebrow. And I can definitely hear you thinking, "I've already heard this! Let's move on!". Bear with me though. Stress is the #1 cause of recurring acne. I know for myself, the moment I get stressed out about something, I begin breaking out. Every. Flipping. Time. :::Sigh::: Try keeping this little factoid in mind and see if you can find a correlation between a new breakout (or even just one new pimple), and something that had you stressed out over the last 48 hours. If stress seems to be a culprit, try these three steps to help you out:
- Try taking an herbal supplement like THIS ONE to strengthen your nervous system, and help you relax during stressful moments. You'll need to take it for a minimum of 30 days though before you really start seeing some lasting effects.
- Listen to a daily meditation, such as one of these top-rated ones recommended by HuffPost! Think you don't have time to "sit cross-legged for an hour every morning"? Not many people do. Heck, not even I have that, and I work for myself! So try this: Five minutes right when you get up. Or, while you're driving to work. Or brushing your teeth. Or right before you go to bed. It's five minutes. Is that worth it to you for getting closer to clear skin? Sure, it is.
- Go pet an animal. I am dead serious. Studies show that petting an animal for even just 30 minutes can drastically reduce the amount of stress that your body is working so hard to balance out. Purring cats are the bomb for this task, but cuddly dogs work just as epically!
2. Your Liver Is Way Too Overworked.
Wait, what? What does someone's liver have to do with their skin??? News flash for ya', girl: It has everything to do with your skin. Your liver is responsible for filtering all toxins out of your body. Toxins that you take in from what you eat, what you drink, what you breathe, what you put on your skin... You get it. We live in a chemical-saturated era, and our organs are having a hard time keeping everything clean and healthy inside. What happens when there are too many toxins for your liver to take care of? The next filtering system has to start doing it. Which is - you'll never guess - your skin! That acne that won't go away? It's most likely your body saying, "Hey! You're putting too much bad stuff on and inside you! We can't keep up!" If your liver can't get rid of all that toxic waste, then your body will get rid of it through your skin's pores; which causes inflammation, infection, swelling... You know. Acne. Yuck. Soooooo, what do we do about this strange predicament? Try these tips:
- Change your deodorant. Now I seem utterly bat s#*% crazy, don't I? Hang tight though; your arm pits are also an area that the body utilizes to cleanse toxins. The problem though, is that it's also a place that takes in toxins super easily since the skin is thin, and there are delicate glands there that affect your immune system. Ever looked at the ingredients in your deodorant? If you buy pretty much any run-of-the-mill brand that is found at local box stores, then you're probably putting a huge gamut of toxins into your body on a daily basis. Try switching over to a natural stick that has uses arrowroot and herbs, or - if you don't react to it - something with aluminum-free baking soda.
- Try taking an herbal supplement for 30 - 60 days, that's been specifically blended for helping your liver to do a better job. The healthier your liver is, the clearer your skin will be! I personally love THIS EXTRACT. It's done wonders for my health and skin.
- Start drinking beet kvass. I lost you, didn't I? But then, if you're here then you're already learning about putting kombucha on your face, so maybe we're cool. But seriously, if you want to kickstart your liver, and begin seeing your skin clearing and STAYING CLEAR then you need to add a massive punch of nutrients and antioxidants. Which beet kvass has. And don't tell me it's too hard to make. You literally just need 4 beets, a friggin' jar, salt, and water. Drink 4 ounces over ice every morning + night. Give it two weeks and tell me you didn't see results. I dare you.
3. You're Seriously Lacking in Minerals.
Acne is also a sign that you're not getting enough nutrients in your diet. We may produce a lot of food here in America, but most of it is pretty devoid of nutrients. Without proper mineral levels, our skin will age faster, scar easier, and won't be able to maintain resistance to infections (like severe acne), or be able to detox completely (oh look, more acne). Lucky for you, this is probably the easiest fix, although it may take up to 12 - 16 weeks before you start seeing consistent results.
- Wear a copper bracelet. Too simple to be true? Nope. That's really all there is to it. Copper is best when it's absorbed in tiny amounts through the skin. So go find a gorgeous new piece of jewelry and enjoy knowing that you're healing your body while looking good!
- Drink "pink salt sole". If you're hoping this is somehow related to pink champagne, then you're in for a disappointment. Sole (pronounced "so-lay") is simply diluted pink salt water. This is a great way to ditch the morning caffeine, and still get a great energy jolt in the morning; plus, it will quickly give you a dose of 84 trace minerals that your body needs! How to make it? Fill a jar 1/4 of the way up with pink salt (you can find this at almost any grocery store! Even Walmart!), and then fill it the rest of the way up with water. Let it sit for 24 hours. Not all your salt will dissolve, and that's totally okay. In the morning, put 1 teaspoon of your sole into a glass of water, and chug that gorgeous elixir down. Boom. Done. Cheapest supplement ever.
- If you're not vegan/vegetarian, then I HIGHLY recommend taking a daily dose of cod liver + butter oil. Yes, this sounds super weird, but this combination gives you the highly elusive nutrient called Vitamin K2, which does wonders for your skin, hair, and immunity. It also gives you a mega dose of Vitamin A, and Vitamin D. Both of which are hugely important for clear and healthy skin.
So there you have it! Three reasons why you might not be getting clear skin, and nine ways to solve it! Now, go forth and enjoy that beet kvass! :::chuckles evilly:::